Wine Free For ALL

Short term blog to investigate the use of an "acid tester" for a cheap fast accurate way to test TA.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Acid tester picture and testing plans

Finally back from travel, and now I can devote some of my attention to this. Here is a snapshot of the acid tester. Note the sample in it ... this was just a quickie test to make sure I understood how it works. I added a couple of drops of green food coloring to make the water indicator more easy to see. Here is a rough description of my test plans:

-Make a known TA sample from distilled water and tartaric acid

-Verify TA using phenolphthalein/8.2 ph method

-time and verify "acid tester" readings.

-repeat to see if it is reproducible.

- get known wine samples and test using 8.2 method and "acid tester" method. (I'll use Bogle wines since they publish their TAs.) http://www.boglewinery.com/factsht.htm (I bought the 2004 Sauvignon blanc, the 2003 Merlot, and the Port)

-dilute Tartaric water mixture to get TA of .1, .2, .3, .4, .5, .6, .7, .8 verify each with 8.2 method and "acid tester method"

-analyze results

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home